Sunday, July 6, 2008

Have Issues, Will Travel

So, it seems that I have a travel curse. Or maybe it is an "event" curse, but that is probably another post. If you have any travel plans, don't invite me. Your flight will be delayed, or the place you are going will flood, or break off into the ocean, or some combination thereof.

Recently, the midwestern US was largely underwater. I was there. I was in the air as the first rains fell, and I sat on a runway in Indianapolis for 4 hours while they waited (brilliantly) for the rain to pass. It didn't, but it let up enough, apparently, for them to let us at least land in the right city - eventually. With fuel prices what they are, the powers that be thought it logical to turn off the engines while we sat, which meant no A/C. The flight was completely full, and it was June. You would not have wanted to breathe near any of us by the time we actually got off the plane.

Anyway, this event got me thinking: this is beginning to seem "normal" for me. Another recent trip, I sat in the Houston airport for 8 hours because I missed a connecting flight by 10 minutes. My real flight left right-on-time, which it would not have done had I been on time. But since I was late, it was on time.

The trip before that, I sat on a runway for 2 hours while my plane waited for ... something. Not sure what. Not even sure I remember which city I was in.

And it isn't just air travel. Some friends allowed us to tag along on a camping trip - a destination they frequent. The wind was so strong, we could barely leave the camper without losing the door. They said it has never been above a breeze....

Ok, so now I am thinking: is this a recent thing? Or has it always been this way? I took a cruise for my honeymoon. Ridiculous weather. Even the waiters couldn't keep their balance. I flew to visit my sister in North Carolina. The flight was hours late and re-routed to a completely different town. I think we arrived at 2 am with a two-hour drive (or maybe it just felt like two hours) back to her place. Without our luggage.

sigh.

There are more stories, I am sure, but right now, I have to go pack for my trip to California. Maybe they will appreaciate me if it rains. (But you might want to head to Florida, just in case!!)

No comments: