Thursday, June 18, 2009

Things That Go "K" In The Night...

The other night, I woke up to the sound of Naomi whispering, "ok?" (Well, actually, "k?") I had slept through her original question, but she was asking for confirmation of whatever it was. Her voice came from Neal's side of the bed, so I thankfully pretended to still be asleep and waited for him to respond. Until I heard it again: "k?" Of course, Dad doesn't wake up to kid whispers. That's mom's job..... Again, "k?" Oy!! How many whispers can you hear and not wake up??
Or maybe she is on my side of the bed..... So I opened my eyes - no Naomi. Ok, so it is Neal's turn. But still no Dad, and another "k?"
I rolled over to check it out. No Naomi. But another "k?" Weird. So I looked back on my side. No Naomi. Ah.... perhaps she has come in to our room and fallen asleep on the floor and is talking in her sleep. (It's been known to happen.) But a strange dream, I suppose, since all she is saying is "k?" (There's another one....)
I'm awake enough by this point to realize that this is weird - just weird enough to make me wonder if maybe it isn't Naomi after all. (She isn't on the floor, you see.) And "k?" again!
...
So, my husband snores. But not in the normal, consistent, cartoon-y "honk-shew" kind of way. In fact, I never really know what to expect from his snores. But if you can imagine, the "k?" was actually his exhale on a really quiet little snore.
We've had quite a few laughs over this one....